Resurrecting the 21 Whittier Drive Community Room
Three of us were at Coffee Hour this morning, I just got back to my apartment at noon.
For two hours I played piano today, after Coffee Hour from 9-10 or so.
Fri, Jul 24 at 12:43 PM
An Open Letter to Shelby Perrault
21 Whittier Drive
Everett MA 02149
There's so much potential for the 120 apartments at
Whittier Drive
McKinley
Proctor
Lynn St
Shute St,
but it will take real effort to bring the room back to life and more.
The biggest event we had outside of Mayor Van Campen and Maria Bussell visiting
on the campaign trail - they had the biggest audiences, was when we had
a farm in the community room, animals!
What I propose is Animal Rescue League bringing in pet adoptions.
The Animal Farm cost Mystic Valley a lot of money, maybe our
state Rep McGonagle and his pal Anthony DiPierro can work to
bring the room to life again?
By reaching out to the Animal Rescue League to have a bi-weekly
pet adoption program, with dogs and cats in the room that people
can adopt, we can get our aging tenants from all 120 apartments
invited to these events.
Of course it would be more than just the pets, we'd have coffee
and ask local businesses to get involved to foster different people
speaking different languages to get involved --- with interpreters.
We have to do something.
It was a pleasure to play piano today for a couple of hours, and
I'm willing to invest the time again to help our community out.
I'm willing to invest the time again to help our community out.
Had a good talk with Shelby Perrault yesterday, she said the
community room is for everyone, yet on July 23, 2026 while
I was playing piano alone in the room, some guy sat down
right near me instead of in the TV room. He started rustling
a bag to annoy my playing - as he did a month or so ago -
I call him Mr Eminent Domain, one of those bad penney types
that disrupt the flow.
He snapped at me "This is not a recording studio." He wanted
to make puzzles. Bullying this 72 year old disabled man,
the heavy-set, chain-smoking individual wanted to make puzzles,
so he made it so uncomfortable for me that I left and filed
a grievance with Shelby.
Today that individual saw three of us at coffee hour and left.
The room's complexion changed when the bully left, it was
not as suffocating and we had donuts, coffee and played with
an APP on the phone called Coin Snap which tells you the
value of your coins. A fellow at the table had two silver dollars
valued at $46.00 each. It also tells you the history of the coins
and how many minted.
This is the good thing for seniors when one person doesn't
control the room and make puzzles all day long, acting as
if it is his own office. He actually has keys to Pastor Ed's
bureau, with his own personal belongings in there.
That isn't fair.
That isn't fair.
Having interaction with dozens of people is fair.
So Rep McGonagle and Ward III Councilor DiPierro,
I'm asking you guys to reach out to Animal Rescue in
Boston, or an animal shelter, and let's get Housing to
work with us to bring pets back to the Community room,
the most successful event we ever had.
The Connolly Center has events for seniors that
are packed; NeighborhoodPACE at St Therese had
a dozen or so people playing BINGO when I was
there for lunch on Monday (and to see the doctor,
and have the nice vampire lady take blood from me,
yikes....she's my friend but she's still a vampire...)
One person making puzzles for over a year and thinking
it is his office, making others uncomfortable, snapping
at a piano player "It's not a recording studio" is just
absurd, unfair, and stifles our creativity.
So 1 apartment out of 120 can make puzzles and
suffocate all the rooms with his puzzles, not yours?
No, it is wrong monopolizing a room and turning it
No, it is wrong monopolizing a room and turning it
into a ghost town.
Neighborhood PACE has plenty of seniors in the
room at St Therese for lunch and for BINGO
The BINGO ended at 21 Whittier, the Puzzle Maker
had a beef with a late senior and quit the Bingo...
too much animosity and hostility....and I'm just
the reporter...
21 Whittier has a reputation of the Bingo dissolving,
as has the entire room
The room coordinator needs to address these
situations on her watch. Who fights over Bingo?
The puzzle maker was angry with the tenant - now deceased-
The puzzle maker was angry with the tenant - now deceased-
and walked out.
The puzzle maker said the happiest day in his life was when
a neighbor underneath him dropped dead.
Don't blame the messenger, that negative force OWNS the
21 Drive Community Room and it is not fair, Shelby.
We need a room that flourishes and has TV time where
elders can get together. The Puzzle Maker was also putting
Catholic literature on the piano, and everywhere, suffocating
the room. The First Amendment doesn't allow for 1 religion
The piano is a beautiful instrument. The puzzle makers, there
were two until one died, put flowers on the piano, the woman
used the piano to throw her clothing, purse, telephone, it was
so disrespectful. When I moved their plants to a table I found,
to my horror, that they had ruined the top of the piano carelessly
pouring water on the plants which ruined the piano top.
Do you think the puzzlemaker has the integrity to pay for the
piano to be repaired? A beautiful musical instrument harmed
by the negligence of one selfish person.
Yesterday I was intimidated with the cruel remark about it
not being a "recording studio." So I - in a moment of inspiration -
had to shut off my recorder and leave. Instead of letting me
tape my music, he came over and rustled his lunch bag repeatedly
to annoy me to the point where I could not record, could not us
the community room, so that he could make puzzles.
Today, when that person left, more people got to enjoy the room.
At PACE we sign an agreement to be civil. IF we snapped at
someone at PACE we would get suspended from the room.
I suggested people sign Agreements but Shelby won't.
Instead she put up a sign "No rolling eyes at people,"
yet in her office, when Charles Censullo bothered her,
my hand on the Bible, Shelby rolled her eyes.
Amazing. No one reads such nonsense, people must
sign an agreement to be civil so that Jean Daniel from
Housing not be barefoot taking tenants' lease forms,
so filthy dirty, according to a woman, L.F., who said
Mr. Daniel from Housing did that?
Who wants some barefoot Housing Coordinator
walking around a senior center ???? like that????
No wonder they have Attorney LaRovere on staff,
with a nutcase like that you need a 24/7 attorney.
But I digress, the point of this is to resurrect the
room with friendly people who can meet each other.
1 man making puzzles 9-5 every day and chain smoking
and being hostile is why it is Shelby Perrault's Ghost Town.
We need to bring the people back.
playing piano. Happy to oblige. We never get invited to do puzzles,
but I'm happy to help people have fun with music
It's about helping our fellow tenants vs one person being selfish
and ruining it for everybody else.
I hope Shelby is listening; she has been tone deaf to our needs,
I hope Shelby is listening; she has been tone deaf to our needs,
which is why we had 2 NeighborhoodPACE persons and one
other tenant there this morning. Pace or the Council on Aging
should step in if Mystic Valley Aging Services can't handle it,
and right now they cannot handle it, all due respect
The Messenger
Joe V
Comments
Post a Comment